Thursday, November 19, 2009

GooGoo for Gaga


I have to tell ya... at first I was not sure about Lady Gaga.  I thought that maybe she was a gimmick or a one-hit-wonder.  I've never seen a Gaga video until I watched her latest one called Bad Romance.  I was SO impressed.  While the product placement was a bit much in the beginning of the video, I was on board with how absolutely creative she is.  This woman does for videos today what MTV used to do for videos way back in the day.  I've been saying for months, maybe even years now, that I wished music videos were more creative.  It seems all the creative energy has been sucked out of the music industry.  Now all you see is slow motion "beauty shots" or stripper rejects hanging all over cars they can never afford.  It's like video's have become one big animated Glamor Shot.

Enter Gaga: She has single-handedly breathed new life into video making.  She has also raised the bar considerably for these pretenders who want to throw a couple million into CGI special effects and call it a day.  Don't get me wrong... I believe special effects can be awesome in a music video, but not when an artist relies on that to make their video special.  I don't like these beauty videos either.  One of the biggest offenders  is Mariah Carey.  Yes, I said it.  Even though I will ALWAYS love MC, there have been very few videos from her that do anything but accentuate her beauty.  Mariah, sweetie, we know you are pretty...let's get creative now!  Obsessed was a good start, but still too much beauty.  I would LOVE to see Lee Daniels direct your next video...now there's a cool idea!

The Bottom Line: While you may not care for Lady Gaga's music, her OVER-THE-TOP outfits, or her Tampon-ish performances on award shows (MTV VMAs), you can't deny that she is as original as one can be in this day in age.  Really nothing is original anymore.  It hasn't been since before I was born... but she sure does make her take on things extremely interesting and very cool.


Long Live Gaga