Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reflections snoitcelfeR



Girl Before A Mirror (1932)  -  Pablo Picasso



As I sat at a glass table outside today, I couldn't help but notice the grand reflection of the mid-day sky.  It made me think about reflections in general and their parallels to everyday life.  Not only is it possible to see yourself in a reflection but it's also possible to see what's behind you.  It's that "behind you" part that really started to grab my attention.  In life, is what's behind us even more important that what's to come...or what is happening now?  There are many schools of thought about "the past" and if one should spend time dwelling on it or learning from it and so on. While I feel as though there should be a balance in all things, I wonder how good it is to revisit the past.

It also occurs to me that if we spend all our time looking behind us, that we can miss ourselves in the reflection...hell, we can miss the actual mirror itself!  Maybe the point of life's reflections is that we spend time looking at everything reflected in the mirror making sure not to forget the importance of the reflection we see or the importance of having a mirror in the first place.  After all...with out life (the mirror), there really are no reflections(self and experiences).  

Mirror mirror on the wall...