Friday, June 25, 2010

One Year - One Billion Dollars



It's a curious thing to me that the measure of an artist tends to be how well they do once they are gone.  Think about it...whether and painter, dancer, writer, actor, or singer...if that person's art outlives them, they can truly be counted as one of the all-time greatest.  This fact was never truer than for Michael Jackson.  In the year that followed his death, the singer's estate generated nearly one billion dollars in sales world-wide.  That, my friends, is astonishing.  His music and life continue to speak to all generations.  As with any artist who's taken too soon, one can only imagine what he might have accomplished in the future.  I think about what new artists he might have discovered or worked with.  For all of Michael's tortured moments, he remains an unmatched musical savant.  On a day where only Michael's music will be playing in my home and in my car, I choose to be thankful for MJ's art and his giving spirit.  In a world of one-hit-wonders and tabloid celebrities, it's nice to know that every once in a while we are blessed with the presence of a true artist.


Here's to one year of rest for Michael Jackson.