Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dirty Shirleys with Judi in Cosmo California



I went to San Diego this weekend with my friend Jeffrey! It was my first trip to Southern California and I must say I was impressed from start to finish.


I'm all about letting people know about my experiences. Since I publicly chastised Cigna in my previous piece, I would like to take a moment, in the spirit of "equal opportunity", to give a good report for another company...Southwest Airlines. It was my first flight on the airline since 1995 and I must say it was a great experience. The flight attendants were funny, approachable, and sincere. Way to go Southwest!!! Thanks for the memorable flights.


Ok, so I landed in San Diego on Saturday morning and was whisked from the airport to a friend's condo nearby by my very capable tour-guide and friend Jeffrey. I arrived to a wonderful breakfast and then immediately got “extra cute” for a Master's graduation ceremony near Palm Springs. While I looked damn good, if I do say so myself, I was about to be one baked Negro out in that sun. There were a few geniuses there who actually thought to bring umbrellas to block the sun. Imagine that. The ceremony was inspiring and the student speaker was even more so. She spoke of how "Things do not change. We change." While that theme has been resounded since Thoreau made that quote, it was not at all cliché. It was relevant. It was exciting...to see a new generation of business masters begin their journey. To hope that even one of them will make sound choices in their paths that will help change the face of economics in America for the better. It was an honor to witness this moment. After the ceremony we were taken to Riverside California for a celebratory dinner. It was wonderful. I had a steak so good you’d slap your mamma! The raspberry chocolate cake for desert would have made you slap the rest of your family. There was engaging and warm conversation all around and I found myself feeling very grateful.


Sunday morning I was treated to a one hour massage that quickly made me feel new again. Then there was lunch at the Chicken Pie Shop in San Diego! Open for business for that last 70 years or so…this place was a step back in time worth every minute! First of all…it was WAY CHEAP. OMG…I never expected to find a meal that includes desert for under $7 in Cali. More than that, it was SO good. I think it was the first time I’ve ever eaten a chicken pot pie without that annoying little tin that they come with…you know…when you buy them frozen. All I can say is wow! After lunch, it was off to The O.C.! I went to meet my friend and co-worker Judi. We have been speaking over the phone for nearly a year now and almost on a daily basis for work. Over that time we figured out that we had a lot in common and grew to appreciate each other very much. Meeting her in person was 10 TIMES better! She is full of life and humor that just makes all your problems just melt away. We immediately ordered Cosmos, then it was on to the Dirty Shirleys (a drink I’ve never had before). We munched on nachos and talked for a few hours before I had to head back to San Diego. My only regret is not having had more time to spend with such a fabulous person.


Monday morning Jeffrey and I headed out to the airport for our flight back to dismal Texas. I so wanted to just stay…forever. The flights back were just as nice as those going there. All things said, this was a great trip. I was able to relax, have fun, and learn a little something about myself in the process…


I change.


Stay Free!