Friday, May 15, 2009

In Memoriam: Laying To Rest Friendships That Don't Work



In my relatively short time here on the planet we call Earth, I've already come to realize the need for putting to rest relationships that do not work. I recently had to pay my respects my best friend. Nobody died but the friendship certainly did. Sadly, he decided to travel down a path which I could not follow. Though we've shared deeply and cared for each other, it wasn't enough to save the friendship from the grave.


Before him, there was the other best friend, who was more like a brother near the end. We knew each other’s deep dark secrets. We shared our struggles and dreams alike. We cried together, laughed together, played basketball together, you name it. Life was fun with this friend in my life until our relationship was diagnosed with religion and died soon after.


I understand now, that as with the actual death of a loved one, it is best not to stay mired in the past, but rather remember it for what it was. There are some things that are just not meant to be and no amount of revisiting, apologies, or good intentions will change that. It's best for one’s health to accept the “death” and move forward. Friendships are living things which require much nurturing to stay alive. Once that is cut off it is only a matter of time before irreversible damage is done.


So, today I take a moment to mourn for the loss of my two best friends. I am thankful for the experience but realize that nothing can be done to bring them back. I accept this and tomorrow will bring a new day with new opportunities for friendship.


Stay Free!