Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson and the Power of Music



Pictured Above: David Jackson as Michael Jackson


As I woke this morning, I found it difficult to get on with the day. I got plenty of rest. I'm almost to the bottom of my coffee. What's going on with me? There is so much in my life to be excited about. Then it hit me. Michael's memorial is today. While I won't be one of the fortunate ones to attend, the day represents finality. I feel like as long as there has been no "service" for him then it hasn't really happened.


I realize that I may come off as one of the screaming, teary-eyed, Jackson fans, but it's not really like that at all. I grew up listening to Michael's music and watching his videos. His music had a profound impact on my life. An impact that is hard to adequately put into words. I personally believe that music is "other-worldly" already. Think about this... no matter where you go...who you talk to...almost everyone on earth relates to SOME type of music. Not everyone believes in god. Not all people like to read. There are SO many differences that exist between us except when it comes to music. Sure, we all have our taste in music... I love Mariah Carey yet I know many cannot stand her...but we all like music in some form or another. I was trying to remember ever meeting someone who didn't like some sort of music. I've never met anyone that simply refused to listen to music or who didn't enjoy it on some level. There has to be something to that.


That's why I believe Michael Jackson's impact on the world is so great. He found a way to channel the power that music holds. He was able to convey that power to others in a very real and honest way. I think that's why he also incorporated so many different kinds of music into his own. He wanted to connect the music to as many people as he could because he understood the value of music in our lives.


I can be having the worst day. I pop in Mariah, Michael, Pavarotti, Carrie Underwood, Seether, Switchfoot, India Arie, Luther Vandross, John Denver, Elvis, and SO many more and I can get through whatever it is that’s bothering me. Sometimes the music gives me attitude when I'm lacking enough to stand up for myself. Sometimes the music gives me peace when it seems like life is trying to kill me off. Music can get me past a bad relationship moment (thank you Beyonce). Michael understood the true power of music to unite people perhaps better than any other artist living or dead. I will always remember him for that. I will honestly always be grateful for that. So today I choose to look at this memorial, not as an ending, but as a new beginning. There may never be another Michael, but the power of music that he shared with us will always remain.


Thank you Michael...for sharing the Music.