Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson - My Brother













As a child I recall listening to Michael Jackson and feeling a connection to the singer because we share the same last name. I used to pretend that he was my older brother. In fact almost everyone I ever ran across as a kid would ask me, "Are you related to Michael Jackson?” I will never forget that. On some level people have never stopped with that joke, even as an adult. It's funny how some things just stick.

My young mind was full of imagination when it came to music and I soaked in everything Michael did. While attending a private school where "penny loafers" were mandatory, I would put on my brightest white socks and the jet black loafers and dance on the tiled kitchen floor. My mom would just roll her eyes and giggle and what must have been my silly "knock-off" moon-walk. I never did learn how to do that correctly.

I think back to my very favorite song by Michael. It had to be, with out a doubt, "Black or White". Being of Scottish, African-American, and Cherokee descent, this was the song that helped me feel comfortable in my own skin. As I watched the music video with the different people of all races morph, one into another, I felt like I could be or do anything in life. When I heard that song it made me believe that my race didn't matter.

Fast forward to the present day... my karaoke staple is the song "I'll Be There". No matter how many new songs make their way to the top of the karaoke to-do list, that song is always a favorite.

Michael Jackson's legacy for me will always be how he wanted to inspire people to dream, to dance, to sing. Michael's music has shaped my life and made me feel at home. Though his life had shades of tragedy and failure, I still learned one very important thing: No matter what happens in my life...no matter what I go through, I can still do great things.

He will always be my pretend brother.
From one Jackson to another...Thank you.


Your "brother",

David Jackson

Stay Free!